mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Lin Yuan <apefor...@gmail.com>
Subject Propose to discontinue supporting Apache MXNet on Windows 7
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2018 22:54:11 GMT
Dear Community,

Currently, our MXNet installation guide for Windows does not work for
Windows 7. e.g. Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 is not supported on Windows 7
<https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/support/vs2015/received-error-specified-program-requires-newer-version-windows/>.
In addition, MSFT ended “Mainstream” support for Windows 7 in 2015 (
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet).
Therefore, it is not possible for developers to build MXNet and verify the
fix on Windows 7 platform. Given that there have been several issues about
MXNet error on Windows 7 (issue#9271
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/9271>, issue #8921
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/8921>, issue #11163
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/11163>), it will even add
more burden on developers in the future if we were to continue supporting
Windows 7.

I therefore would like to propose that we discontinue the support of MXNet
on Windows 7 in the next release.

Specifically, this means the following required actions:

1) state the discontinuation of Windows 7 support in the release note

2) update the MXNet webpage if Windows version is mentioned.

3) update the open Github issues related to Windows 7

Please share your thoughts about this proposal and/or suggest if there is
any other missing action item from the above.

Best Regards,

Lin