mxnet-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Roshani Nagmote <roshaninagmo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release plan - MXNET 1.3
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2018 19:38:46 GMT
Thanks, Kellen for letting me know.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:09 PM kellen sunderland <
kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Roshani, I think it should be ready by Friday.
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018, 10:20 PM Roshani Nagmote <roshaninagmote2@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Kellen. Yes, we were treating this PR as a release blocker. Do you
> > have any ETA by which it will be completed? Approximate time will also
> > work.
> > @zhi, Thanks for bringing this PR into notice. I will keep a track of it.
> >
> > -Roshani
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 11:30 AM Joshua Z. Zhang <cheungchih@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I strongly suggest to track this PR
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11908 <
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11908> in 1.3 release
> > > which fixed the usability issue for lower end machines that don’t have
> as
> > > large shared memory space as ec2 instances.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > - Zhi
> > >
> > > > On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Roshani Nagmote <
> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com
> > >
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi all,
> > > >
> > > > Right now, we are delaying MXNet 1.3 release for pending TensorRT PR
> (
> > > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11325 ).
> > > >
> > > > I wanted to ask everyone for their opinions if we should delay the
> > > release
> > > > to get tensorRT integration in or we should go ahead with the release
> > and
> > > > include tensorRT in next release. Please provide suggestions.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Roshani
> > > >
> > > > On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 12:45 AM Hagay Lupesko <lupesko@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Some thoughts: why not keep it out of 1.3, and merge it into master
> so
> > > it
> > > >> can go out with 1.4 instead?
> > > >> Pros:
> > > >> - Reduce quality risks for 1.3
> > > >> - More time to test and get feedback before release
> > > >> - Avoid further delays in 1.3 release (lots of good stuff there
> > already
> > > for
> > > >> users)
> > > >> Cons:
> > > >> - People will need to get master to experiment with TRT (not a major
> > > issue
> > > >> IMO)
> > > >>
> > > >> Besides, TRT requires a build flag anyway, so MXNet users consuming
> > > built
> > > >> packages (PyPi, Scala) will anyway not be able to try it out unless
> > > >> building from source...
> > > >>
> > > >> Thoughts?
> > > >>
> > > >> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 10:38 PM Steffen Rochel <
> > steffenrochel@gmail.com
> > > >
> > > >> wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >>> Marek, Kellen, Jun, Da, Eric, myself and a few other people
> discussed
> > > >>> offline about TensorRT integration PR (
> > > >>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11325 ). We do
> agree
> > > that
> > > >>> it
> > > >>> would be good to include the PR into upcoming 1.3 release, but
are
> > all
> > > >>> concerned about the risk involved and the breaking API change.
The
> > > >>> discussion converged to following proposal. (1) change to contrib
> PR
> > > and
> > > >>> (2) define a different top level API to indicate that the package
> is
> > > part
> > > >>> of contrib and experimental (details of API TBD between Marek,
> Kellen
> > > and
> > > >>> Eric). This change would allow to include TRT integration with
v1.3
> > to
> > > >>> enable users to try TRT with MXNet, minimize the risk and avoid
> > > breaking
> > > >>> API change.
> > > >>> To accommodate the change the request is to delay RC for a few
> days.
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Regards,
> > > >>> Steffen
> > > >>>
> > > >>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 5:08 PM Roshani Nagmote <
> > > >> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com
> > > >>>>
> > > >>> wrote:
> > > >>>
> > > >>>> Hi,
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>> I have created a wiki for tracking MXNet 1.3 release with
the
> > > timeline.
> > > >>>> Please take a look here:
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.3.0+Release+Status
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>> I am still waiting for following 2 PRs to get merged:
> > > >>>> TRT integration:
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11325
> > > >>>> Gluon RNN: https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11482
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>> *Code freeze date is 08/02(Thursday).* Kindly try to complete
> > ongoing
> > > >>> work
> > > >>>> and get these PRs merged.
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>> Thanks,
> > > >>>> Roshani
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 1:02 PM Roshani Nagmote <
> > > >>> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>>> Hi all,
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> Here is an update on MXNet 1.3 release:
> > > >>>>> I am still waiting for following PRs to get merged:
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> TRT integration:
> > > >> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11325
> > > >>>>> Gluon RNN: https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11482
> > > >>>>> Scala examples:
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11753
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11621
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> *New code freeze date is: 08/03*  Please try to get your
ongoing
> > PRs
> > > >>>>> merged by then.
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> @Pedro, I didn't include your PRs in tracking list as
you said
> > those
> > > >>> are
> > > >>>>> not critical for now. Please let me know if those needs
to be
> > > >> included.
> > > >>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11636
> > > >>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11562
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> I also have updated project proposal cwiki page to update
the
> > status
> > > >> of
> > > >>>>> PRs.
> > > >>>>> <
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Project+Proposals+for+next+MXNet+Release
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> Please let me know if I am missing something.
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> Thanks,
> > > >>>>> Roshani
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:34 PM Pedro Larroy <
> > > >>>> pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com>
> > > >>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>>> I would like to get these PR merged:
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11636
> > > >>>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11562
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>>> How much longer until the code freeze?
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:44 AM Roshani Nagmote <
> > > >>>>>> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com>
> > > >>>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> Hi all,
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> PRs waiting to be merged for 1.3 release:
> > > >>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11325
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> Are there any other PRs waiting to get merged?
Please let me
> > know.
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> Release blocker issue:
> > > >>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/11853
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> @Marco, @Kellen, Thanks for bringing up the important
topic. I
> > > >> agree
> > > >>>>>> with
> > > >>>>>>> you and we(internal Amazon team) will be working
on fixing the
> > > >>>> disabled
> > > >>>>>>> tests.
> > > >>>>>>> Currently, my colleague, Hao Jin is working on
compiling the
> list
> > > >> of
> > > >>>>>>> disabled tests and leading the effort to fix them
in the next
> few
> > > >>>> days.
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > >>>>>>> Roshani
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 6:39 PM kellen sunderland
<
> > > >>>>>>> kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>> Thanks again for organizing Roshani.  I believe
the TensorRT
> > > >> work
> > > >>> is
> > > >>>>>>> ready
> > > >>>>>>>> for a merge.  Thanks to Marek and all the
NVIDIA people for
> > > >>>> iterating
> > > >>>>>> on
> > > >>>>>>>> it.  If possible could a committer review,
make sure it meets
> > > >>> their
> > > >>>>>>>> expectations and then merge?  PR is here:
> > > >>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11325
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>> To Marco's point.  I'd recommend we review
some of those
> > > >> disabled
> > > >>>>>> tests
> > > >>>>>>> and
> > > >>>>>>>> see how likely they are to affect users before
we cut a
> release.
> > > >>>>>> Many of
> > > >>>>>>>> them are obviously not too important from
a user's point of
> view
> > > >>>> (e.g.
> > > >>>>>>>> downloading a sometimes-offline image in a
test).  One idea
> > > >> would
> > > >>> be
> > > >>>>>> to
> > > >>>>>>> try
> > > >>>>>>>> and address as many of the customer impacting
issues as
> possible
> > > >>>>>> between
> > > >>>>>>>> code freeze and the RC0 vote.
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Marco de Abreu
> > > >>>>>>>> <marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com.invalid>
wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> Hello Roshani,
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> frequent releases are good and I'm supportive
for this in
> > > >>> general
> > > >>>> in
> > > >>>>>>>> order
> > > >>>>>>>>> to provide our users with the latest features
and
> > > >> improvements.
> > > >>>> But
> > > >>>>>> at
> > > >>>>>>>> the
> > > >>>>>>>>> moment, I'm slightly concerned about the
test coverage due to
> > > >>>> [1]. I
> > > >>>>>>> want
> > > >>>>>>>>> us to be conscious about cutting a release
even though not
> all
> > > >>>> tests
> > > >>>>>>> are
> > > >>>>>>>>> enabled (29 disabled tests [2] as of today).
However, I
> > > >>>> acknowledge
> > > >>>>>>> that
> > > >>>>>>>> we
> > > >>>>>>>>> have improved by a lot lately thanks to
everybody
> > > >> participating
> > > >>>> and
> > > >>>>>>>> leading
> > > >>>>>>>>> the efforts around improving flaky tests.
From a
> retrospective
> > > >>>>>> point of
> > > >>>>>>>>> view, we could say that these efforts
have actually revealed
> > > >>> some
> > > >>>>>> quite
> > > >>>>>>>>> interesting bugs and thus the time was
well spent and yielded
> > > >>> good
> > > >>>>>>>> results.
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> What does the community think about making
another sprint of
> > > >>>>>>> improvements
> > > >>>>>>>>> around tests followed up by a period of
1-2 weeks during
> which
> > > >>> we
> > > >>>>>>> observe
> > > >>>>>>>>> the failures closely to ensure that no
critical paths are
> > > >>>> impacted?
> > > >>>>>> If
> > > >>>>>>> we
> > > >>>>>>>>> are in a good shape by then, we could
continue the release
> > > >>> process
> > > >>>>>> and
> > > >>>>>>> at
> > > >>>>>>>>> the same time have the advantage of giving
contributors more
> > > >>> lead
> > > >>>>>> time
> > > >>>>>>> to
> > > >>>>>>>>> finish their work to ensure it gets into
the release in the
> > > >>>> desired
> > > >>>>>>>>> quality.
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> Again, thanks to everybody for their efforts
during the last
> > > >>> weeks
> > > >>>>>> to
> > > >>>>>>>>> improve the usability and stability of
MXNet. This is great
> > > >>>>>> community
> > > >>>>>>>>> effort and a good example of a community
working together
> > > >>> towards
> > > >>>> a
> > > >>>>>>>> unified
> > > >>>>>>>>> goal!
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> Best regards,
> > > >>>>>>>>> Marco
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> [1]:
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d6d81401de796a96677a112d6cd0b074b01f46564194ea89b86c6a3e@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
> > > >>>>>>>>> [2]:
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22Disabled+test%22
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:34 PM Roshani
Nagmote <
> > > >>>>>>>> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>> Hi all,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>> As mentioned before, code freeze date
is today July 23rd.
> > > >>> Please
> > > >>>>>> try
> > > >>>>>>> to
> > > >>>>>>>>> get
> > > >>>>>>>>>> your ongoing PRs merged by today.
> > > >>>>>>>>>> Please let me know if there are any
concerns or need more
> > > >>> time.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > >>>>>>>>>> Roshani
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM Anirudh
Acharya <
> > > >>>>>>> anirudhkrec@gmail.com
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> @sandeep krishnamurthy <sandeep.krishna98@gmail.com>
the
> > > >>> bug
> > > >>>>>> fixes
> > > >>>>>>>> in
> > > >>>>>>>>>> the
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> R-package is something we have
just begun, there will not
> > > >> be
> > > >>>>>>> anything
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> significant to announce before
the v1.3 code freeze.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:08
PM Steffen Rochel <
> > > >>>>>>>>> steffenrochel@gmail.com
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> To make it easier to find
the discussions related to
> > > >>> project
> > > >>>>>>>>> proposals
> > > >>>>>>>>>> I
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> added a column with a link
to the thread on dev@ for
> > > >> most
> > > >>>>>>>> projects.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> Appreciate for the project
owners to fill in the blanks
> > > >>> and
> > > >>>> to
> > > >>>>>>>> check
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> that I
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> got the right threads.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> Regards,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> Steffen
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 7:11
PM Roshani Nagmote <
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hi Kellen,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sure. I will update the
notes with the information.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Roshani
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at
3:01 PM kellen sunderland <
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> kellen.sunderland@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hey Roshani,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Would you be able
to add 'TensorRT Runtime
> > > >>> Integration'
> > > >>>> to
> > > >>>>>>> the
> > > >>>>>>>>> list
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> of
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> upcoming features?
 We'll target getting the release
> > > >>> in
> > > >>>>>> and
> > > >>>>>>>>>> polished
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> by
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> the
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 23rd.  Design proposal
is here:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Runtime+Integration+with+TensorRT
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> and the lead contributor
is Marek Kolodziej.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> -Kellen
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018
at 8:32 PM Roshani Nagmote <
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> roshaninagmote2@gmail.com
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hi All,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am starting
the process to prepare for Apache
> > > >>> MXNet
> > > >>>>>>>>>> (incubating)
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>> 1.3
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Release. Please
find project proposal draft for
> > > >> this
> > > >>>>>>> release
> > > >>>>>>>>>> here:
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <*
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Project+Proposals+for+next+MXNet+Release
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Project+Proposals+for+next+MXNet+Release
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Target feature
freeze date is July 23rd. A release
> > > >>>>>>> candidate
> > > >>>>>>>>> will
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> be
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> cut
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> around Monday,
August 6th and voting will commence
> > > >>>> from
> > > >>>>>>> then
> > > >>>>>>>>>> until
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thursday, August
9th. If you have any additional
> > > >>>>>> features
> > > >>>>>>> in
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> progress
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> and
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> would like to
include it in this release, please
> > > >>> make
> > > >>>>>> sure
> > > >>>>>>> to
> > > >>>>>>>>>>> comment
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> so
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> I
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> can update the
release notes.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Feel free to add
any other comments/suggestions.
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roshani
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>>
> > > >>>>>>
> > > >>>>>
> > > >>>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message