mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Sheng Zha <szha....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Propose to discontinue supporting Apache MXNet on Windows 7
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2018 06:51:25 GMT
Hi Yuan,

No problem. This is an issue that's worth having a clear definition, so
there's nothing wrong about your proposal, and thanks for bringing this up.

I'm more concerned about the seemingly unanimous votes on dropping support
on a platform without seeing the supporting evidence that it's the right
thing. It is as if everyone who participated in the vote are already on the
same page, and somehow I'm the only one that's not. But the only argument I
hear so far is that it's technically not straightforward to continue the
support, which, coming from Amazon folks, certainly doesn't sound
customer-obsessed.

-sz

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:37 PM Lin Yuan <apeforest@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sheng,
>
> Thanks for raising this concern. The problem now is that we cannot even
> build MXNet on Windows 7 because the build process requires MS VS 2015 w/
> update 3 which is incompatible on Windows 7. This leaves many Windows 7
> related open issues on github without any timely response. In my opinion,
> having no response to users' request is probably even worse than letting
> them know the limitation of OS support.
>
> To minimize the impact to current Windows 7 users, we can provide PyPi
> package for Windows 7 in this release but defer the bug fix and feature
> enhancement to later Windows OS version. Based on users' feedbacks, we can
> then officially discontinue the Windows 7 support in the next MXNet
> release.
>
> I will appreciate your comments.
>
> Lin
>

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 1:37 PM Sheng Zha <szha.pvg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Are any of the votes based on any measure of user impact, if we indeed
> > decide not to fix the current problems?
> >
> > -sz
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 1:29 PM Hagay Lupesko <lupesko@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (non-binding)
> > > Thanks for raising this Lin!
> > > Are you suggesting to do it as part of MXNet 1.3?

> > > sandeep.krishna98@gmail.com>

> > > mnnaveen@gmail.com

> > > apeforest@gmail.com>
Windows