mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Tong He <hetong...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release process for R
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2018 08:56:31 GMT
Hi Marco,

There's no barrier on the technical side, as we can statically link
everything and ask Linux R users to download.

The main reason that we (so far) do not offer the pre-built R package for
Linux users is simple: CRAN doesn't pre-build packages and R users are used
to it.

Some further reasons:
On Windows and OS X, CRAN has its standard environment (compile with Xcode
and MinGW), but on Linux you just have so many options. Users may feel
confused if the pre-built package is configured differently from their
environment.
I am actually not awared of any R package offering a pre-built binary for
Linux, also R's `install.packages` doesn't seem to naturally support
installing binary on Linux (no chance to test yet).

Another potential approach:
There are some R packages having the form as Linux packages. For example
the package `rgl` can be installed on ubuntu with `apt-get install
r-cran-rgl`: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/math/r-cran-rgl .
People prefer to install in this way mainly to get rid of difficulties in
the dependencies, or in the environment configuration (e.g. for the package
`rJava` one needs to take care of $PATH and the permission of the
installation).

Best regards,

Tong He