mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Anirudh Acharya <anirudhk...@gmail.com>
Subject Duplication of Operators for sampling from random distributions
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 20:42:24 GMT
Hi All,

I had earlier filed an issue with functionality-duplication/code-refactor
here - https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/11811

As per the suggestion in the github issue I would like to bring it to the
attention of the wider community -

The operators defined in sample_op.cc and multisample_op.cc are seemingly
performing the same tasks. Both these files define the following operators
respectively

sample_op.cc
-----------
random_uniform
random_normal
random_gamma
random_exponential
random_poisson
random_negative_binomial
random_generalized_negative_binomial

multisample_op.cc
----------
sample_uniform
sample_normal
sample_gamma
sample_exponential
sample_poisson
sample_negative_binomial
sample_generalized_negative_binomial

The only difference that I can glean from the documentation is that
operators in multisample_op.ccperforms concurrent sampling from multiple
distributions, but the behavior of the operators is not different.

Is sample_op.cc being retained for legacy reasons or backward
compatibility? Can it be deprecated or EOLed? Correct me if I am wrong here.

Thanks

Anirudh