mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Yasser Zamani <yasserzam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vote to stop using JIRA
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2018 05:35:57 GMT

On 6/8/2018 9:57 PM, Eric Xie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since all of MXNet's development happens on Github, I think it's sufficient to use Github
Issues and Github Projects for tracking. There are also many other plugins you can add to
Github if issues and projects are not enough.

> It's very easy to cross reference PRs and issues for tracking. In comparison, JIRA is
an outdated system with very little features and no integration with Github. I think using
it achieves nothing but additional overhead.

-1 as I afraid it may violate "Apache Way". Microsoft is going to buy
GitHub. What happens to Apache histories if one day he decided to drop
GitHub data including Apache projects histories?! or decided to change
usage license or payment?! and etc!

However, I found it seems was legally OK in 2016 [1] BUT I think we must
ask again also "general@incubator and/or community@apache and/or board
rather than at legal-discuss" [1]. (at least informs them about the
state of the art).

I personally prefer to stick together with Apache INFRA Team and ask
them to automate any overhead work instead. e.g. they already have a
nice JIRA and GitHub PR connection [2].

Regards.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2890619eb1ca049f057c95a3378efc7be5d54d646c693d2e2560c103@%3Clegal-discuss.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://github.com/openzipkin/openzipkin.github.io/issues/51#issuecomment-250877803
 "For our project, a PR should have a corresponding JIRA issue -- we use
GH PR templates to tell contributors what to do . For issue tracking we
use Apache JIRA. Apache has webhooks in Github that detects the "JIRA
token" in a PR title (for example, the token for this PR is CB-11860 and
this makes any GH comments in the PR reflect back to the JIRA issue (but
not vice versa), and it is also sent to a project mailing list as well."