mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Marco de Abreu <marco.g.ab...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
Subject Disabling flaky tests
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2018 23:31:54 GMT
Hello,

we currently have a false-failure rate of about 59% in our CI. This leads
to a lot of PRs failing due to flaky tests. We're currently in the process
to fix problematic tests, but we're still not at a point which we can
consider as stable.

A few colleagues proposed to disable tests temporarily to increase the
stability of the system. I know that this is heavily opposed by a lot of
people including myself, but we're pretty much stalling our development due
to these issues. Thus, I'd like to disable them for now and make them a
release requirement. We currently have 12 disabled tests (ranging back to
October 2017) and I'd like to add a few more.

To keep track of disabled tests, I have added a new label [1]. If a test
gets fixed, the issue will be closed and thus automatically disappear from
the list.

To address the concerns of the community about tests being disabled and
then forgotten, I'd like to make it a release requirement for 1.3 that no
tests are disabled. This means we will have reduced coverage temporarily,
but it will not impact our customers since they will be re-enabled for the
next release - this is basically a two-way door. On the other hand, we're
improving the turnaround time for PRs and reduce the frustration level.

By the way, we currently have an internal sprint running at Amazon which
leads to everybody focussing on addressing flaky tests. This means that
this state will not persist for long.

Best regards,
Marco

[1]: