mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Naveen Swamy <mnnav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accidental commits to 1.2.0 branch using Maven apache-release profile
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2018 20:26:58 GMT
I agree we should never rewrite history on the master branch,  master
branch is protected so you won't be able to push to it without a PR. The
issue here was the release branch was not protected.

I am only squashing commits that are after the tag creation.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Tianqi Chen <tqchen@cs.washington.edu>
wrote:

> One potential problem is that, if a release is tagged to a certain hash
> code, and that specific commit get squashed, the previous tagged release is
> no longer valid, so at least make sure that did not happen
>
> Tianqi
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Tianqi Chen <tqchen@cs.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > You should never force push to master branch because it messes up
> people's
> > commit history. Ideally, you shall never push to the release branch and
> PR
> > is preferred. Given no people will continue work on the release branch,
> the
> > impact of squash commits is minimalized and is fine in this case, given
> > likely most people works on master
> >
> > Tianqi
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Naveen Swamy <mnnaveen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> how would it be devastating? it is just squashing a bunch of commits
> >> together into 1 commit.
> >>
> >> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Marco de Abreu <
> >> marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com

> we
> learned
> >> and