mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Carin Meier <carinme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clojure Package
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2018 01:16:12 GMT
It is always a good thing to consider the cost with the benefit. I'll do my
best to explain what I see the tradeoffs to be.

First, I wanted to clarify that it took significant development effort to
get the Clojure package and the interop working properly despite my simple
looking design on the confluence page :)

One of the advantages of MXNet over its competitors is its many language
support. The Clojure package would only increase the value of this
proposition and bring new users and growth into the community.
However, there is a cost associated with adding this language support as
you pointed out.

Since the Clojure package right now is only reliant on the Scala jars from
Maven, it can exist outside the main project as an independent repo but I
think that would lessen the growth benefit both to the Clojure community
and to the MXNet community to not be included as a first class language.

I believe having first class Clojure support in MXNet is valuable, but the
cost of that support is up to the community to decide.

Is there a process for considering a new package in MXNet?

- Carin