mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas DELTEIL <thomas.delte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: users@mxnet
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2018 00:45:44 GMT
I was actually the one stating that we didn't need a user mailing list
during the Seattle meetup, given all the reasons already exposed above.

However given what proponents of a mailing list said, I personally wouldn't
mind adding a new channel as a user mailing list, and monitoring it. There
seems to be a subset of users, used to apache projects, that wouldn't use
the forum but would use a mailing list. Though I think it is not as
feature-rich as the forum and there is a risk of dilution of information.
It is more about reaching those extra users. If we see a dilution of
traffic on the forum towards the mailing list (~currently 100 posts/week)
then maybe we can reconsider our assumptions?

All the best,

Thomas Delteil

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 17:30 Pedro Larroy <pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree with Tianqi, Eric and others. We shouldn't dilute the community
> with another forum. Disqus is already working and has healthy
> participation, you can get an email digest if you so desire. Subscribing to
> a mailing list to get a question answered is quite a heavyweight investment
> for many people and users who might not have the resources nor mental
> bandwidth to receive more email volume in their inboxes.
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM Tianqi Chen <tqchen@cs.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > The problem of having multiple separate channels of communication is that
> > users get confused, and the cost of maintenance goes up(people have to
> > watch both). As the current community was at discuss forum and many users
> > prefer it, having a mail-list is only a burden we will bring
> >
> > Tianqi
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > IMO, that is the wrong way to look at it.

> of
> > > *increasing* the user community and providing an extra level of
> support.
> > > Unless there is "strong evidence" that this is NOT the case, I would
> > > recommend we create the list.

> > the

> > > survey,
> we