mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastian <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: users@mxnet
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:52:25 GMT
Thank you for your input Steffen,

I think going out and experimenting is the right mindset to address such
issues.

One should not underestimate the fact that all emails on this user
mailinglist go to all subscribers (in contrast to a forum where people
have to actively look for things to answer).

What happened in many of the projects that I have been involved in is
that users, who might not have the time to contribute code, but are
still passionate about the project, start to answer questions on the
mailinglist. Its also much easier for new people to participate in a
discussion compared to sending pull requests.

The ASF was for example able to attract Ted Dunning (who's now a
Director of Apache) via a user mailing-list. He started to regularly
answer ML-related questions on the mailinglist and wasn't very keen on
contributing code first :)

Best,
Sebastian

On 20.06.2018 17:43, Steffen Rochel wrote:
> I had a discussion yesterday with Jun Wu (wujun.nju@gmail.com) to get a
> better understanding about the concerns raised, that users might get
> confused and maintenance efforts.
> I agree with Jim that building and fostering the community is important.
> First of all, I suggest we should be open minded and not make claims that
> we have a good understanding of user preferences. We might have insights
> about preferences of current users (which I also would question as we
> sampled only a small set), but we certainly don't have insight about the
> preferences of new users we are trying to attract.
> In such situation it might be better to run an experiment, offer choices
> and collect real feedback - lets be customer focussed.
> My suggestion is to establish a user@ list and support the list with a
> volunteer subset of contributors and committers to minimize the maintenance
> impact on the whole community.
> After a reasonable time like 6 months we can evaluate the adoption of user@
> and effort to support and can make an informed, data driven decision how to
> proceed.
>
> I recommend to create the user@ list and call for volunteers to support the
> list.
>
> Regards,
> Steffen
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 8:10 AM Hagay Lupesko <lupesko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> Earlier on the thread you suggested to clarify and expand on the usage of a
>> user@ mailing list and how it is useful for a project.
>>
>> It may be helpful for the community to learn a bit more about it. Could you
>> expand and/or share relevant links and examples?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Hagay
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018, 07:31 Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just so we are clear: building and fostering a community takes effort.
>>> Either it is something important to the project, or it's not.
>>>
>>> My assumption is that It Is.

>> above.

>>> wouldn't
>>> There

> [...]
> [...]