mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastian <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: users@mxnet
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:42:12 GMT
I am puzzled by the reluctance of this project to setup a user
mailinglist to be honest.

MXNet has major issues with attracting a community outside of Amazon
(whenever I hear folks talking about deep learning, they usually mention
tensorflow, pytorch and keras, but I rarely hear someone talk about
MXNet). At the same time, there is so much resistance to adopt practices
that are successfully used by many high-profile toplevel projects...

-s

On 18.06.2018 20:37, Timur Shenkao wrote:
> [...]
>>> shouldn't ignore...
>>>
>>>      And it's not like this is the only project with "multiple"
>>> communication choices for users. Most, if not all, projects have users@in
>>> addition to such supplemental methods as IRC channels, a forum, etc...
>> It's
>>> about making it easy to have as many users as possible and as many
>>> potential ways for users to communicate. It's not confusing; it's
>>> empowering :)
>>>
>>>      > On Jun 18, 2018, at 1:19 PM, Tianqi Chen <tqchen@cs.washington.edu
>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      > The problem of having multiple separate channels of communication
>> is
>>> that
>>>      > users get confused, and the cost of maintenance goes up(people have
>>>      > watch both). As the current community was at discuss forum and many
>>> users
>>>      > prefer it, having a mail-list is only a burden we will bring
>>>      >
>>>      > Tianqi
>>>      >
>>>      > On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      >> IMO, that is the wrong way to look at it.
>>>      >>
>>>      >> A users@ mailing list is a great, easy, low-cost and low-overhead
>>> way of
>>>      >> *increasing* the user community and providing an extra level of
>>> support.
>>>      >> Unless there is "strong evidence" that this is NOT the case, I
>> would
>>>      >> recommend we create the list.
>>>      >>
>>>      >>> On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:28 AM, Tianqi Chen <
>>> tqchen@cs.washington.edu>
>>>      >> wrote:
>>>      >>>
>>>      >>> So unless there is a strong evidence that our community users
>>> prefers the
>>>      >>> mail-list, I would recommend we keep the current way
>>>      >>>
>>>      >>> Tianqi
>>>      >>>
>>>      >>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 9:25 PM, Sergio Fernández <
>>> wikier@apache.org>
>>>      >> wrote:
>>>      >>>
>>>      >>>> Are we targeting just Seattle as our community? I really
hope we
>>> are
>>>      >>>> thinking a bit beyond that...
>>>      >>>>
>>>      >>>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 21:22 Tianqi Chen <
>> tqchen@cs.washington.edu
>>>>
>>>      >> wrote:
>>>      >>>>
>>>      >>>>> I remember last time during the mxnet meetup in Seattle,
we
>> did a
>>>      >> survey,
>>>      >>>>> and most users preferred the current discuss forum.
So I would
>>> say we
>>>      >>>> stick
>>>      >>>>> with that given the user community prefers that
>>>      >>>>>
>>>      >>>>> Tianqi
>>>      >>>>>
>>>      >>>>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Sergio Fernández
<
>>> wikier@apache.org>
>>>      >>>>> wrote:
>>>      >>>>>
>>>      >>>>>> Then, if everybody agree, let's request the mailing
list
>>> creation to
>>>      >>>>> INFRA
>>>      >>>>>> ;-)
>>>      >>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>> Marco, I wouldn't do that. Typically developers
are also
>>> subscribed
>>>      >>>>> there,
>>>      >>>>>> since they may be the most informed people for
answering
>> users'
>>>      >>>>> questions.
>>>      >>>>>> But the topics discussed there may not be of the
interest for
>>> pure
>>>      >>>>>> development purposes. Some discussions will jump
from users@
>>> to dev@,
>>>      >>>>> but
>>>      >>>>>> at a different level. So I wouldn't forward one
mailing list
>>> the
>>>      >>>>> other.
>>>      >>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 21:01 Marco de Abreu
>>>      >>>>>> <marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>>      >>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>> I think nobody was opposed to it in the past,
right?
>>>      >>>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>> I'd propose that all emails automatically get
copied to dev@
>>>      >>>> ensure
>>>      >>>>>>> high
>>>      >>>>>>> visibility initially. What do you think?
>>>      >>>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>> Sebastian <ssc@apache.org> schrieb am
Fr., 15. Juni 2018,
>>> 20:51:
>>>      >>>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>>> I have already proposed this many times
in the past and
wrote:
>>>      >>>>>>>>> Hi,
>>>      >>>>>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>>>> is there any good reason why the podling
doesn't have a
>>> users@
>>>      >>>>>> mailing
>>>      >>>>>>>> list
>>>      >>>>>>>>> yet?
>>>      >>>>>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>>>> Honestly speaking, I'm not a big fan
of the other tools the
>>>      >>>> podling
>>>      >>>>>> is
>>>      >>>>>>>>> using. Slack and Web forums a cool
tools, and I used them a
>>> lot
>>>      >>>> in
>>>      >>>>>>> other
>>>      >>>>>>>>> contexts. But when it comes to transparency
and community,
>>>      >>>> mailing
>>>      >>>>>>> lists
>>>      >>>>>>>>> play a crucial role in the Apache Way.
>>>      >>>>>>>>>
>>>      >>>>>>>>> Users are the most important asset
a project can have. Even
>>> more
>>>      >>>>> than
>>>      >>>>>>>>> developers, believe me. So I think
it's time to create a
>>> users@
>>>      >>>>>>> mailing
>>>      >>>>>>>>> list for to helping MXNet grow its
community beyong the