mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Marco de Abreu <marco.g.ab...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Following semantic versioning
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2018 00:20:08 GMT
Maybe we could gather items our users would like to have before we cut the
release and make sure that they are included? This would show them that
we're genuinely interest in their demands and avoids problems like this at
the same time.

There are two reasons CI is not running older branches:
1. The Windows setup is not made in a way that supports multiple branches
(means that dependencies and setup scripts can not be versionized).
Eftiquar is currently working on resolving this.
2. I'm the only person working and maintaining the CI system, leading to
heavy resource constraints and  thus dropping support for all branches
other than the master branch.

One thing to note is that the Windows setup has not been changed within the
last 4 months (or maybe even more, but that's when the new CI has been put
into production), so #1 is not a blocker *at the moment*. Considering that
the entire configuration for CI (besides the mentioned Windows part) is
stored in the GitHub repository itself, backporting changes and re-enabling
CI on past branches can be done by anybody by simply issuing a PR to the
respective branch.

I agree that we should have patch releases on released branches in order to
provide our users with proper support (especially considering bugfixes we
develop).

-Marco