mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From kellen sunderland <kellen.sunderl...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Publishing Scala Package/namespace change
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2018 07:58:22 GMT
+1 (non-binding) to what Marco is describing.  +1 (non-binding) to getting the Scala bindings
with the namespace change into Maven.

The general best practice for SemVer, which is used by most projects that employ SemVer, is
to apply SemVer to the public APIs of packages that ship with your project.  If you have several
independent APIs this could mean that they are versioned separately from each other, and from
the overall project versioning mechanism.

For example, the .NET Core library ships with a number of binaries, each with their own SemVerioned
APIs.  They also have a high-level, easy to understand version for the package as a whole:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/versions/.

Nodesource has a good description of this: http://nodesource.com/blog/semver-a-primer/
“Semver is a scheme for interface versioning for the benefit of interface consumers, thus
if a tool has multiple interfaces, e.g. an API and a CLI, these interfaces may evolve independent
versioning.”

SemVer at its core is a communication mechanism to inform developers of incompatibilities.
In this case the Scala interface is clearly a separate entity from the C API.  I.e. changing
the Scala namespace isn’t going to break C API users.  It does not communicate anything
useful to these users if we up their major version in response to a Scala change, it simply
breaks compatibility.  If we group all interfaces together, and increment whenever any of
them has a breaking change we’ll soon be at MXNet version 587.  We’ll be forcing our users
to check compatibility and update their dependency tracking constantly.  The end result is
that our users will stop pulling in new versions of the library.

What I would propose is that (1) we have a high-level SemVer system that tracks our C_API.
 This is the ‘MXNet’ version that we generally refer to and emphasize for our public releases.
 For each API we have an independent versioning system that if we can, we fix to the MXNet
version.  When it makes sense we version these APIs independently.  So for example we could
have a MXNet 1.2 release that ships with a 2.0 Scala API / R API.

In terms of Apache process I think shipping artifacts with a non-Apache namespace is a bigger
issue than whatever versioning conventions we decide to use.

-Kellen