mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Sheng Zha"<zhash...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plan - MXNET 1.0.1
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2018 01:05:21 GMT
Hi Haibin,

Thanks for leading this. I suggest that we hold onto this release until we have clarity on
the following items.

1. branch usage and versioning
Given that we are past 1.0 and we're changing APIs, I'd like to suggest that we first agree
on how
versioning works in mxnet. If we follow semantic versioning, it would suggest that features
like
MKL-DNN should go at least into 1.1 (minor version change) instead of 1.0.1 (patch release).
Also, assuming that new release will come from a new forked branch, I suggest that we clarify
on how to
name the branches too.
You can find relevant thread at https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c52f8353f63c1e63b2646ec3b08d9a8180a1381787d777b41b8ac69f@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

2. disabled tests
For the purpose of stabilizing test automation system, many tests were disabled. In order
to avoid
releasing untested features, we should mitigate the situation of having disabled tests.
That means we can fix the tests before the release, or remove the corresponding feature from
release
(might be hard to do, e.g. for optimizer). Otherwise, we must collectively decide that a feature
is
OK to release without tests.
The thread on this topic can be found at https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/addab1937bfcf09b5dfa15c1149ddcebd084f1c4bf4e10a73770fb35@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

We can proceed on the release with more confidence once we have clarity.

Best regards,
-sz