mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Xingjian SHI <xsh...@connect.ust.hk>
Subject Re: Proposal for treating warnings as errors in Linux & Clang builds (-Werror)
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2018 01:04:49 GMT
It seems we have the `DEV` mode (https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/make/config.mk#L28)
to do that? Is it correct?

Xingjian

________________________________
From: Ziyue Huang <zyhuang94@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:01 AM
To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Proposal for treating warnings as errors in Linux & Clang builds (-Werror)

+1 since warnings might be potential errors. In my perspective, an
excellent project is better to have 0 warnings.

Chris Olivier <cjolivier01@gmail.com>于2018年1月16日 周二上午2:27写道:

> If enabled, it should only cause errors in Release builds, since having
> warnings in WIP code is not unusual.
>
> In addition, different developers use different gcc/clang versions. Some
> gcc versions, for instance, generate warnings where others do not.  It
> would not be fair to render unbuildable a developer who is using a newer
> (or older) gcc version is different from CI.  Can this argument be tied to
> a particular compiler/platform/version?
>
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Marco de Abreu <
> marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Pedro Larroy <
> > pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I would like to propose to compile in CI with warnings as errors for
> > > increased code quality. This has a dual purpose:
> > >
> > > 1. Enforce a clean compilation output. Warnings often indicate
> > > deficiencies in the code and hide new warnings which can be an
> > > indicator of problems.
> > >
> > > 2. Warnings can surface bugs as has happened before.
> > >
> > > While this might be impractical in all architectures, I would propose
> > > having the Linux and Clang build run without warnings in CI.
> > >
> > > I think we are very close to this as I personally have been fixing
> > > warnings in Linux and OSX / Clang.

> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/9398
[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/928489?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/9398>

[Make] add -Werror, warnings as errors by larroy ・ Pull Request #9398 ・ apache/incubator-mxnet<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/9398>
github.com
incubator-mxnet - Lightweight, Portable, Flexible Distributed/Mobile Deep Learning with Dynamic,
Mutation-aware Dataflow Dep Scheduler; for Python, R, Julia, Scala, Go, Javascript and more