mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From kellen sunderland <kellen.sunderl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release plan - MXNET 1.0.1
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2018 15:30:23 GMT
@Marco: Ok, well then it sounds like a good time for the community to
re-think how we look for API changes ;-).  We can continue the chat in the
semver proposal, but maybe we could create a collection of APIs we consider
to be semver'd and review those interfaces each release.  Spending reviewer
and contributor time each PR on something that we ultimately ignore doesn't
seem productive.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:29 PM, kellen sunderland <
kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes this is also what I'd suggest Nan, sorry if I wasn't clear.  My
> comment was referring to 2.  So as an example for our current release we
> could cut a new minor release including new features such as the text api,
> scala rename, but we could cherry-pick the important bug fixes and apply
> them to the 1.0.x branch.
>
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Nan Zhu <zhunanmcgill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> regarding "I'd agree that we should apply most of the fixes to the
>> previous
>> release branch and build from there."
>>
>> my suggestion is actually a bit different with this, my idea is that
>>
>> 1. we always work with master branch, and when there is a date for
>> releasing a new version (minor or major) one, we cut a new branch and
>> announce code freeze for that version (of course, there is some exception
>> to merge the previously-ignored blockers to the newly cut branch)
>>
>> 2. after the release, we still work in master for the next (at least minor
>> version) and cautiously backport the patches to the last cut branch
>> (assuming that we always maintain only one previous minor version)
>>
>> with this model, what we would do now is cut a new 1.1 branch for the
>> coming release, if it is necessary to have a maintenance version, we would
>> cherry-pick the important and backward-compatible fixes to 1.0.x branch
>> (though ideally this should be done when merging fixes to master )
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nan
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 2:01 AM, kellen sunderland <
>> kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > -.5 (non-binding) to releasing as a minor release.  If we don't have any
>> > breaking API changes, and we haven't added any major features I would
>> tend
>> > to release this as a patch release.  The reason being that organizations
>> > and users will know that they can apply this release without making
>> major
>> > changes to their dependencies.  It also helps set expectations around
>> the
>> > degree of regression testing you'd expect to do on a release (typically
>> > patch releases would require less testing).  For that reason if we
>> release
>> > as a patch release I think we could expect better adoption rates in the
>> > community and within large tech orgs.  If we release as a minor release
>> we
>> > should expect that many customers may take a long time to update, and
>> as a
>> > community we will be forced to provide support for bugs which have
>> already
>> > been fixed.
>> >
>> > +1 (non-binding) In terms of branching I'd agree that we should apply
>> most
>> > of the fixes to the previous release branch and build from there.
> [...]
MXNet master

>> patch

>> stable
Fixing