mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From kellen sunderland <kellen.sunderl...@gmail.com>
Subject CUDA Support [DISCUSS]
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2018 11:30:30 GMT
Hello all, I'd like to propose that we nail down exactly which versions of
CUDA we're supporting.  We can then ensure that we've got good test
coverage for those specific versions in CI.  At the moment it's ambiguous
what our current policy is.  I.e. when do we drop support for old
versions?  As a result we potentially cut a release promising to support a
certain version of CUDA, then retroactively drop support after we find an
issue.

I'd like to propose that we officially support N, and N-1 versions of CUDA,
where N is the most recent major version release.  In addition we can do
our best to support libraries that are available for download for those
versions.  Supporting these CUDA versions would also dictate which hardware
we support in terms of compute capability (of course resource constraints
would also play some role in our ability to support some hardware).

As an example this would mean that currently we'd officially support CUDA
9.* and 8.  This would imply we support CUDNN 5.1 through 7, as those
libraries are available for CUDA 8, and 9.  It would also mean we support
3.0-7.x (Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta) taking the more restrictive
hardware requirements of CUDA 9 into account.

What do you all think?  Would this be a reasonable support strategy?  Are
these the versions you'd like to see covered in CI?

-Kellen

A relevant issue: https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/8805