mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Tianqi Chen <tqc...@cs.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Increase indentation limit from 100 to 120 characters
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2018 05:21:31 GMT
An argument against such change would be the coding style standard is
people already get used to it, and there is less benefit of making the
change.

PEP and Google C style suggest 80 chars as limit, I usually write with that
in mind and try to break multiple arguments into multiple lines when such
violation happens, and rarely sometimes have a 100 line code for code reason

One potential benefit of fewer characters per line makes it easier to do
split editing when you split your code into two screens (hey emacs and vim
users)

I am not in strong favor of either number of line limits but is comfortable
with the current setting

Tianqi

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Chris Olivier <cjolivier01@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you for the excellent reply!
>
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Nan Zhu <zhunanmcgill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > well....max line length as 100 is adopted in many projects (nearly all
> > projects I have been involved or used or looked at,
> > spark/flink/bahir/atlas, etc. companies which using scala intensively
> also
> > sets it to 100 (e.g. netflix, you can check their atlas project))
> >
> > one of the reasons is that all these projects are all following
> > https://github.com/databricks/scala-style-guide which was published in
> the
> > early days of when scala is becoming popular
> >
> > and the behind reason might be that considering the language
> > characteristics of scala, a shorter line limit would be make it more
> > readable, (http://docs.scala-lang.org/style/indentation.html#line-
> wrapping
> > ,
> > the official guide even says 80 as the limit)
> >
> > Also note that, scala-packages has a scala-style plugin regulating coding
> > style which does not apply limits for certain cases, e.g. import, and the
> > developer can turn off style checking if you are doing something special
> >

> > BTW, considering monitor-relevant concern,
> http://scalameta.org/scalafmt/
> > tells that 100 is good enough even for a 30'' wide monitor
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Chris Olivier <cjolivier01@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Why -1?

> > > cjolivier01@gmail.com