mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Olivier <cjolivie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Module maintainers proposal
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:58:14 GMT
Does it have to be called "CODEOWNERS"? I would be more comfortable with it
if it's a "watch list" where it just means you wish to watch code here or
there in the source structure and anyone can add or remove their name from
watching some part of the code at any time.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Marco de Abreu <
marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I agree. How about we find another way to allow people to subscribe for
> changes in a specific file or directory?
>
> -Marco
>
> Am 12.01.2018 8:51 nachm. schrieb "Chris Olivier" <cjolivier01@gmail.com>:
>
> > Have you read "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"?
> >
> > http://www.unterstein.net/su/docs/CathBaz.pdf
> >
> > One of the points I took from this is that once a project finds its
> stride,
> > it actually runs more efficiently without centralization than with.
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Marco de Abreu <
> > marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Chris,
> > >
> > > you have a good point about people being afraid of reviewing PRs which
> > they
> > > are not assigned to and I totally agree that we should encourage
> > everybody
> > > to review PRs.
> > >
> > > One important advantage I see in this is the notification: since we are
> > not
> > > using the feature to required an approval, this step is entirely for
> > > information purpose. I, for example, would like to get notified if a PR
> > > change a CI file would be created. Just as an example: over Christmas,
> > PR
> > > to update mkl has been pushed without me knowing about it. Somehow,
> after
> > > my vacation, we started to get issues with mkl test - I only found out
> > > about this PR after quite a long investigation. If we would extend the
> > > usage of the code maintainers, we'll make sure that changes like these
> > will
> > > notify the people who have the best knowledge about that part.
> > >
> > > Marco
> > >
> > > Am 12.01.2018 8:03 nachm. schrieb "Chris Olivier" <
> cjolivier01@gmail.com
> > >:

> > > myself
> > stuff,