mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost-Fromm <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Module maintainers proposal
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2018 08:35:25 GMT
Another two side notes:

Even if there are maintainers, if for instance there's a security issue in module X the entire
PMC will be held accountable for fixing it. So for instance the maintainer being offline is
no excuse for not taking care of it. "That's not my issue" is not a valid answer.

Even if there are maintainers this still means other committers continue to have a say in
reviewing that modules code even if they aren't maintainers.

Also make sure that what you write into the maintainer docs reflects reality and keep things
updated. Otherwise you risk things falling through the cracks.

Think twice or more about establishing anything that could encourage people to get in touch
with maintainers directly instead of talking with the project as a whole via its mailing lists
(and issues/ PRs mapped to mailing lists). Getting rid of project content from your inbox
is incredibly hard once you want to be less involved with the project. From a projects perspective
extracting knowledge hidden in private inboxes is neigh impossible after the fact. (I have
been burnt with the above more than once, happy to share the story of anyone is interested
in listening.)

Stepping down from my soap box,
Isabel

Am 9. Januar 2018 09:05:50 MEZ schrieb Sebastian <ssc.open@googlemail.com>:
>One side note on the language used here: there are no "owners" of
>packages in Apache projects, the community owns the code as a whole.
>You
>probably meant maintainer instead of owner.
>
>Best,
>Sebastian
>
>On 09.01.2018 08:24, YiZhi Liu wrote:
>> +1 for adding @CodingCat (Nan Zhu) as owner of Scala package.

>>> It has been a while for discussing having maintainers for individual
>>> modules. A maintainer for a module will be the main person who
>reviews and
>>> approves PRs contributed to that module.
>>>
>>> Currently, some maintainers are listed in the file CODEOWNERS
>>> <https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/CODEOWNERS>:
>>>
>>> # Owners of Apache MXNet
>>> # Global owners
>>> *            @apache/mxnet-committers
>>> # Owners of language bindings
>>> R-package/*        @thirdwing
>>> scala-package/*        @javelinjs
>>> perl-package/*        @sergeykolychev
>>> # CMake owners
>>> CMakeLists.txt        @cjolivier01
>>> cmake/*            @cjolivier01
>>>
>>> However, this list is incomplete. This document proposes how to
>partition
>>> mxnet codes into modules and put tentative maintainers for each
>module.
>>>
>>>     - I tried to select the activate contributor who contributed
>most to the
>>>     module, not the new contributor who is going to work for it. But
>I may
>>> be
>>>     outdated.
>>>     - Code review is not easy. So maintainers may need help at the
>>>     beginning.
>>>     - Eric (@piiswrong) did most PR reviews, so I didn't put his
>name on
>>>     every module.