mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Marco de Abreu <marco.g.ab...@googlemail.com>
Subject Move to new CI
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2017 00:06:23 GMT
Hello MXNet community,

as discussed in
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bb0f63cd6dbab9cf7e5f857f60b758a774a76876b8135ec9cf67a57c@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
and tracked at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MXNET-1, we've decided
to switch to a new CI running Jenkins and move away from the current setup
running under builds.apache.org. Within the past weeks, me and my team have
been working on setting up the new CI.

We've reached a state which is, besides a few structural changes described
in https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/8960, compatible to the
MXNet repository. I'd like to make the transition within the next days and
thus request a review on my PR.

I would like to point out, that at this stage, we're only migrating to the
new CI. This means we're in control of the master, can start and stop
slaves as desired, don't rely on Apache Infra-tickets and thus increase
stability and reaction time. Just to set some expectations: During my tests
I've noticed seg-faults, flaky tests and other irregular build failures
like they're already happening on the current CI setup. These are not
related to the CI itself, but we're going to look into these issues after
the initial migration has been completed. While the new CI is running,
we'll work on implementing reactive auto scaling to avoid any queue times.

I would appreciate some feedback and I'd like to hear if there's anything
you'd like to have in the new CI. Additionally, I've created a few design
documents regarding auto scaling and security design, but unfortunately,
I'm not able to share them yet due to permission issues on the MXNet wiki.
As soon as they're available, I'll send a follow-up email.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best regards,
Marco