mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Indhu <indhubhara...@gmail.com>
Subject Automatically translating Caffe code to MXNet
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 00:30:20 GMT
One of the questions we frequently encounter in forums and emails is “I
have caffe code that does this. How do I do the same thing in MXNet”. While
it might be possible to go through the documentation and do the translation
layer by layer manually, we thought a tool that automatically does it will
be helpful for people who want to migrate from Caffe to MXNet. Here is the
first version of the tool:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/tree/master/tools/caffe_translator.
Thanks to Aaron (@aaronmarkham), Madan (@madjam), Pracheer (@pracheer) and
Steffen (@srochel) for their help and feedback in building this.

Note that this is different from the caffe converter that already exists (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/tree/master/tools/caffe_converter).
Caffe converter converts Caffe Model to MXNet model so that user can run
inference on MXNet or finetune on MXNet. The new translator on the other
hand helps users to migrate their Caffe code to MXNet and continue
development on MXNet. I think both tools are useful in different contexts.

Caffe Translator can currently translate the layers mentioned in the README
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/tools/caffe_translator/README.md>.
Obviously this is only a humble beginning and there is much more layers
that can be supported. Apart from adding support for more layers, following
are some things that can make the tool more useful:

- Eliminate the CaffeDataIter
<https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/how_to/caffe.html#use-io-caffedataiter>
dependency to translate data layers.
- Generate code that can do distributed training. This is one of main
reasons I might want to move my Caffe code to MXNet.
- Make the tool accessible through a website so that user can just copy
paste a Caffe code snippet in the website and get translated code instantly
without downloading and running anything locally.

Any help in these efforts is greatly appreciated. Also let me know if there
is some other improvement that could be done to make the tool more useful.

Thanks,
Indu