mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Bhavin Thaker <bhavintha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet(incubating) version 1.0.0.rc0
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:38:21 GMT
+1 (non-binding)

I ran the following tests on the source tar for v1.0.0 RC0:

1) SUCCESSFULLY compiled and sanity-tested
    both DEBUG and OPTIMIZED build
    on a CPU-only instance (x1.32xlarge).

2) SUCCESSFULLY compiled and sanity-tested
    OPTIMIZED build
    on a GPU instance (p2.16xlarge).

$ cd src/make
$ diff config.mk config.mk.ci  | egrep ">"
> DEBUG = 1
> USE_CUDA = 1
> USE_CUDA_PATH = /usr/local/cuda
> USE_CUDNN = 1
> USE_DIST_KVSTORE = 1
> USE_S3 = 1

However, I found a minor problem:
    Python crashes (core-dump) instead of a graceful error message when GPU
context is used on a CPU-only instance (EC2 x1.32xlarge)
I think this is NOT a release-blocker and would suggest adding it to known
problems in Release Notes for v1.0.0.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/8835
A workaround is to use the correct device context, i.e. do NOT use GPU
context on a CPU-only instance.

Bhavin Thaker.