mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Haitao Wang" <hai...@openailab.com>
Subject RE: Futex
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2017 03:32:02 GMT
Hi, Chris,

As far as I know, the mutex implementation in Linux is based on futex already.

Thanks,
Haitao

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-return-1553-haitao=openailab.com@mxnet.incubator.apache.org [mailto:dev-return-1553-haitao=openailab.com@mxnet.incubator.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Chris Olivier
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2017 3:02 AM
To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Futex

Was doing some timing with futexes (we used them a lot in a previous life in database engines)
and they're consistently about 20-30% faster than standard mutexes in Linux.

However, it seems like this is not worth making a change since mutexes don't tend to get called
so much that it would seem to make a noticeable difference, although I could be wrong -- so
far besides the queue, I am not aware of any major bottlenecks on mutexes.

Any thoughts?

-Chris