mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Haitao Wang" <hai...@openailab.com>
Subject RE: The Exchange Layer Support of MXNet
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:26:20 GMT
Just a quick question:
Where to find the document to describe the standardized core operator set of Mxnet/gluon?

Thanks,
Haitao

-----Original Message-----
From: workcrow@gmail.com [mailto:workcrow@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tianqi Chen
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 11:43 AM
To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
Subject: The Exchange Layer Support of MXNet

I will start forking the previous discussion and it has gone awry and I hope to start a pure
technical discussion thread.

I said in another email that we could do a vote to settle this issue. I now think that I was
wrong and would like to apology for my rush proposal on this.

I hope to reopen this email thread to gain consensus on what we want. There has been express
of concerns that the code should reside on ApacheMXNet repo. I think that discussion is already
over and at least I would want the code to be in the repo as long as we reach the consensus.

The leftover point is how should we do it. There are two ways of doing this

1) Doing it on top of existing Symbol API.
2) Moving most of the exchange layer on standardized core operator set, namely mxnet/gluon
spec.

Both approaches are feasible. There is some advocation on which way might be simpler, but
the additional effort of engineering won't be that much.
The reason why I am seeing this decision so seriously is that it will affect how we can influence
the design of the exchange format we act on, and how easily it is to integrate future features
that are made available.

I am in favor of (2) because technically it gives us a clean future compatibility, offers
compilation and articulates clearly what ApacheMXNet's stance on core operators.
These things could bring more impact to the community in general.

Tianqi