mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Joern Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java API for MXNet
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2017 14:13:06 GMT
Hello,

the approach which is taken by Spark is described here [1].

As far as I see this has the great disadvantage that the Java API
would force Scala as a dependency onto the java users.
For a library it is always a great advantage if it doesn't have many
dependencies, or zero dependencies. In our case it could be quite
realistic to have a thin wrapper around the C API without needing any
other dependencies (or only dependencies which can't be avoided).

The JNI layer could easily be shared between the Java and Scala API.
As far as I understand is the JNI layer in the Scala API anyway
private and a change to it wouldn't require that the public part of
the Scala API is changed.

What do you think?

Jörn

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Java+API+Internals