mina-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance issue - NioSocketAcceptor
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2014 21:27:56 GMT
Le 15/08/14 16:06, Jon V. a écrit :
> If you receive 5 bytes then Mina will trigger through the schedule
> mechanism which means it gets queued and a thread wakes up to process that.
> That wakeup is one of the most expensive parts of the process. How often
> Mina wakes up is defined by how the producer is writing data to the
> socket.

In fact, the real problem is the processing of the Selector queue. The
smaller the data received, the more often Java has to go through an
expensive processing of a queue of events. Basically, this queue (and
there are more than one in fact) is synchronized, so there is obviously
some kind of contention that occurs. I won't go into details here,
enough said that the selection process is well described in the NIO book
from Ron Hitchens (http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002886.do)

But here, I'm not sure the problem lies in the processing fo small
chunks of data.

> As for the parsers it is much more simple and cost effective to buffer the
> XML before processing it.
Sadly, this is not that simple... Typically, how do you know that you
are at the end of a XML block ? The only way is to actually parse the
full XML, and this is why having an stateful event drive parser can
help, as you just parse the content as it comes, stop when it stops and
resume when more bytes are arriving.