mina-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Socket connections
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:17:30 GMT
Hi Wenrui,

Wenrui Guo wrote:
> As you mentioned, the limitation of amount of ports one process can open is really exist.
Beside that, please also  note that not all process can allow up to 50,000 connections simultaneously,
because in linux environment, one session(connection) established also occupied a file descriptor
of the server process, so usually when about 2000 connections is established, a Too many open
files exception must be thrown, unless you modify the ulimit value of such process.

Modifying this parameter is absolutely mandatory, and I think that every
person who is running a server in production knows that :) But it won't
be a solution to your load balancing problem, anyway !
> Obviously, as Emmanuel said, for the application itself, we usually start several application
instances on the same physical machine, but that's not the best solution since too many connections(even
the event handling of http requests is based on asynchronous way) can cause excessive context
switch, particularly when the OS is not good at task management and not enough CPU is present.

The apache server (Httpd) itself have a limited number of threads to
deal with incoming requests. But handling a request is a different thing
than managing the connections, as we may have hundred of thousands
opened connections, but only a few hundreds of request being processed
simultaneously. If you don't have a high ration of processed request/
number of connections, that should be ok.
> In the case, please follow the rule said by Emmmanuel, make sure your application can
process incoming request as quickly as possible or consider to reject flood http requests
from huge clients. Please remember, excessive contention can reduce tps of server.

The initial questions was about long lived sockets, not about handling a
high number of incoming requests. If your server is supposed to receive
thousands of requests per second, with a pretty expensive processing to
handle each requests, then you better define a very good architecture,
and MINA won't help you in this area ...
> However, Solutions mentioned above definitly a scalable solution, because application
must be spread to multiple physicial machines to support more requests. So usually in telecom
area, load balancing hardwares are so common because it can spread all http requests to many
business servers which sits behind the LB. e.g F5 device. Once workload is above processing
capability limitation, just need to add more machines next to LB to support more requests
as long as LB can distribute flood flows.
Assuming that you manage the sessions (all the LB box have a kind of
sticky session capability), because hoping from one server to another
during a session is really painful to manage from the application POV !
Generally speaking, unless you are delivering static content,
scalability is not only a matter of dropping new boxes in the rack ... :)

But i'm afraid that this thread is going too far away from your initial
point, and if we continue, it will become a complete review of all the
possible architectures ;)

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny