mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using the new CMS for our sites
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:19:33 GMT
On 2/25/11 8:16 AM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/24/11 9:57 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>>> Sooner or later we are going to have to move our sites over to the new
>>> CMS.
>> No. The new CMS is mainly used for the Apache main sites, nothing forces us
>> to use it in the near future, nor in the long term.
> The plan, as far as I'm aware, is still to phase out Confluence as a CMS:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#confluence-phaseout
>
> The auto-export plugin is now supported by Atlassian, but at a very
> old version which is not usable at ASF. Not sure if this is going to
> change things anyways.

I read that a little bit differently : it's a typical NIH syndrom from
the infra peeps. They *want* to phase out Confluence because it's a tool
they don't like and they have to maintain. However, I think that instead
of spending 3 months developping a own home brew solution, they would
have whipped the auto-export plugin in 2 weeks. I'm not blaming them
though, but I just think that the auto-export plugin is currently just
doing its job, so I don't see what is the problem they have today with
confluence (remember that this page has been written 3 months ago, and
Daniel Kulp has fixed the auto-export plugin AFAIR).

I may be totally wrong in my perception of the problem though. But in
any case, I see the migration from confluence as a non urgent thing. I
have used the internal CMS, and trust me, it's way far from Confluence
functionalities. It may be good enough for simple pages like the one we
have on the main apache page, but I would rather continue to use
Confluence for MINA. Switching to the new CMS would be like coming back
to moinmoin...

Now, if Vysper wants to move to the new CMS, it's your call, not mine,
and I'll certainly not -1 a vote if it's called.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,