mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version 2.x - Norweigian Wood
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2009 15:01:22 GMT
David Latorre a écrit :
> 2009/12/4 "Trustin Lee (이희승)" <trustin@gmail.com>:

>>> Wikipedia, about "Norwegian wood" :
>>>
>>> "This exchange took place in a press conference in Los Angeles on 24
>>> August 1966:
>>>
>>> Reporter: I'd like to direct this question to messrs. Lennon and
>>> McCartney. In a recent article, Time magazine put down pop music. And
>>> they referred to "Day Tripper" as being about a prostitute...
>>> Paul: Oh yeah.
>>> Reporter: ...and "Norwegian Wood" as being about a lesbian.
>>> Paul: Oh yeah."
>>>
>>> :)
>>>

>> It actually means a novel with the same title [1].  Other code names are
>> also the titles of Haruki's novels.  The code names were never announced
>> anyway.  Feel free to remove it from JIRA.  I'd be glad to take it over to
>> Netty [2].
>>

> What a great novelist he is :-) To my mind, having our 'nickames'
> based on Haruki's novels instead of what's usual in other projects (I
> won't  give any examples ...) is something to be proud of :P
> But it is true that version numbers are much more useful so ..
> whatever. Otherwise I would suggest "sputnik" as a new nickname (and
> goal) for next MINA version. That's from "Sputnik, my love" by
> Murakami, of course.
>
> I'm sorry that no one seemed to notice the misspelling, Glen, but
> these things happen from time to time, my apologies :P Btw in Spain,
> they coined their own title for this novel, although it is in English!
> Tokio Blues ( Ok, so not English either as they don't say Tokyo but
> definitely not Spanish).

Don't get me wrong : I don't think that giving nicknames to a project
(even with some spelling issues) is a bad thing. The problem is that
it's hard to remember which version it's associated with, and it may
have some local interpretation which may be embarassing; One interesting
example is the Mitshubishi Pajero car : try to sell this car in spain  !
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pajero)

Let's stick to the version numbers, it's just plain ok.