mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] Initial thoughts on FilterChain
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 04:41:48 GMT

On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Ashish wrote:

>>> Finally, managed to check-in some of the initial thoughts.
>>> The transition handler or the computeNext function is still to be
>>> out in.
>>
>> Sorry. Not sure how that answers my question other than to detail
>> what
>> you've done and what you're about to do.
>>

> OOPS! :-(  I think I am getting old
>
> After a discussion we thought that we shall make it possible for
> user's to choose the way we want Filter transitions
> That's what the transition handler is :-) Default implementation shall
> be of next Filter in the chain.
> User's can plugin their implementations for transition say like a
> State Machine implementation.
>
> Since I couldn't take it to logical conclusion, still working on it :)
> Also my experience with State machines is limited, so will need a
> helping hand here (or may be some references :-) )

The key thing about state machines is that the states and the
transitions are known and fixed ahead of time.  If this our state of
affairs, and I think that it is, then things are much more simple and
mentally tractable, i.e. there's no ad hoc filter creation during
protocol processing and much of the threading issues in past entries
on this thread disappear.

Regards,
Alan