mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: [Vysper] XML parser in a separate module?
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:57:24 GMT
Ashish wrote:
> + 1 Much needed
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
>> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Since there has been some interest here on using XML decoders with
>>> MINA, and the inherit problems with doing this with the standard XML
>>> parsers out there, I'm thinking of breaking out the XML parser in
>>> Vysper into a separate module (still within the Vysper subproject, but
>>> with it's own JAR). Thus, it would have no dependencies on Vysper. In
>>> the long run, we might also provide a way to remove the current
>>> limitations on what XML features are supported. For example, XMPP does
>>> not allow for comments and thus we throw an exception when finding
>>> one. This, we might make into an optional behavior.
>>>
>>> What do you all think? Would having a standalone XML decoder be useful?
>>>
>> Definitively. Everyone wanting to use XML as a way to exchange data need to
>> have a XML codec at some point. It has been a problem since day one, and
>> it's not solved yet.

+1.

However, wearing my XMPP-shutter-glasses, I like to add that Vysper
itself would not profit from extending it to parse more XML. Vysper
needs fast fail, where any XML not supported by XMPP leads to an
immediate exception. Everything else only generates overhead, lost for
processing more XMPP stanzas.

  Bernd