mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ThreadPoolFilter
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:21:16 GMT
Hi Peter,

On 1/16/07, peter ellis <petermarkellis@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Actually Ive stumbled across a class which basically has its own
> ThreadExecutor....quite simply this class knows nothing about mina and
> works in this fashion as i  understand it...
>
> An event (of some sort) hits the EventsManager Class and delegates the
> event to a thread...
>
> resulting in the following...
>
> private ExecutorService eventDispatcher =
> Executors.newFixedThreadPool(3, new DispatcherThreadFactory());
>

> //then there is a staic class declare within the ManagerClass
>
>    static class DispatcherThreadFactory implements ThreadFactory {
>
>        private int THREAD_COUNT = 0;
>
>        public Thread newThread(Runnable runnable) {
>            return new Thread(runnable, "NotificationEventDispatcher-"
> + THREAD_COUNT++);
>        }
>    }
>

> Most of the rest of the code uses the listener/observer pattern so
> there are a number of clients registered and and dealt with by the
> thread pool!
>
> after speaking with one of the C++ developers he advises me that as
> there is a thread pool block of code there then it might be doing all
> this stuff anyway meaning you dont need to add anything to mina i.e. i
> dont need to add...
>
> acceptor.getDefaultConfig().setThreadModel(ThreadModel.MANUAL);
> acceptor.getFilterChainBuilder().addLast("...", new ExecutorFilter(....));
>
> ????
>
> Silly question but what would this give me if I did add it to my
> MinaXMLServer class!?

If your server is already using it's own event dispatcher thread pool, you
won't need to add any thread pool in MINA-side.  By default, MINA 1.0 adds
one thread pool, so you have to disable it:

acceptor.getDefaultConfig().setThreadModel(ThreadModel.MANUAL);

That's all. :)

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6