mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Vinod Panicker" <vino...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JRockit vs Sun JDK
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:04:30 GMT
On 12/13/06, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/12/06, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > In terms of CPU utilization, for a user load of 10k, the Sun JVM used
> > > up 45% cpu while the JRockit JVM used over 80% at just 6k users. The
> > > response time degraded so badly by then that it was pointless to run
> > > the test further.
> > >
> > > After reading about Robert's experiences with JRockit, I was expecting
> > > great things, but this turned out to be quite a surprise.
>
> We found that Sun JDK 6 outperformed JRockit 5 by a reasonable margin,
> but that if you compare JRockit 5 to Sun 5, JRockit was on top.
> However at the time we tested that Sun 1.5 did not have epoll support.
> I am not sure if JRockit 5 has epoll support. Lack of epoll could well
> be the reason for high CPU utilisation with that number of clients.

That's a relief!  I am assuming that JRockit has epoll support as
well.  But I haven't confirmed it as yet.  Of course, it doesn't make
sense to test lots of connections on anything that doesn't have epoll
support.

Emmanuel, do you know if the IBM JDK has epoll support?  I'd be happy
to run a test if it does.

Regards,
Vinod.