mina-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Therning <nik...@trillian.se>
Subject Re: Mina, POJOs and Spring
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:43:12 GMT
Hi,

A POJO is the most basic thing you can have in Java, it's just an
ordinary object. Read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_Old_Java_Object

So a POJO isn't actually a Spring thing though Spring let's you do
things like transaction demarcation, method level security, etc on
simple POJOs. Previously you would have needed an EJB container (like
Jboss or Websphere) to get those things. Many people also use Hibernate
which is a very popular tool to map POJOs to database tables.

In the context of MINA I think the term POJO is used to explain that
when using a ProtocolCodec the bytes of your protocol messages sent on
the wire will be converted into Java objects (POJOs) automatically by
MINA. Spring isn't involved in that process and I cannot think of any
reason why one would want that. Also, if you use serialization of Java
objects (the serialization ProtocolCodec provided by MINA) in your
protocol you are most likely using POJOs already.

What MINA docs are you referring to? Wiki, JavaDoc?

/Niklas