mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: calculating throughput
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:14:33 GMT
On 6/9/06, Julien Vermillard <jvermillard@archean.fr> wrote:

> Le mardi 30 mai 2006 à 11:09 +0900, Trustin Lee a écrit :
> > On 5/29/06, daune.jf@daune-consult.com <daune.jf@daune-consult.com>
> wrote:

> and
> read
> it,

> ;)
> > >
> > > A separate filter would allow easy insertion/removal of this
> > > performance 'probe'.
> > >
> > > I implemented such statistics at the IoHandler level, and it is less
> > > flexible.
> > >
> > > I ran into the problem of defining 'work time' to compute throughput
> > > (server can be idle for a long time). I actually compute time in the
> > > 'messageReceived' and 'messageSent' of my IoHandler and sum them up.
> > >
> > > It is not ideal, because all time spent in Mina 'guts' is not taken
> > > into account. Maybe it would a good idea to compute this time in Mina
> > > itself.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >

> > +1 here!  It also would be really nice if we can provide a universal
> > IoFilter that gathers all kinds performance statistics in an extensible
> > manner so we can add any performance counters related with an IoSession
> very
> > easily.
> >
> > Trustin
>
> finaly I made a very simple implementation. I added it to the Session
> MBean. you start it calling the startAnalyze(int millisec) methods, it
> spawn a thread who calculate the throughtput every X milli-seconds.
>
> Look like that in jconsole.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12335216/12335216_jconsole.png
>
> At least it's fitting my little needs :)

This is awesome!  Nice job, Julien!

One thing I'd like to see is to make this analyzer a filter and provide a
JMX interface that allows you to add or remove filters dynamically from the
console.  Do you have any plan to do so?

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6