metamodel-dev mailing list archives

From Kasper Sørensen <i.am.kasper.soren...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Community building progress
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2014 15:26:34 GMT
Hi Noah,

I didn't really keep a record of which initiatives where launched
specifically to build community or just as general steps forward. But I
think we've had a few good things happen since last we talked on the
subject at least.

Specifically to build community we made the twitter account. Not a very
busy account still, but it's a small step.
I did make the CONTRIBUTE.md file and mark a bunch of JIRA tickets as
"starter" tickets. I can't really say if this have had any impact.

BUT I do see a couple of very nice developments during the last month or
two:

1) We added our first non-initial committer to the project, Tomasz
Guzialek. Tomasz was doing his masters thesis at Human Inference, so his
involvement can be traced back to that though.

2) Someone external to the community (Niels H. Christensen) actually
contributed with a very nice blog post [1] and that sparked a lot of ideas
in my head at least. The story behind this is that I met Niels through a
friend and had a conversation with him about MetaModel. He found the
project interesting and relevant to his research project, so decided to
expand his research a little in this direction.

3) Just today we merged the quite big contribution by Alberto Rodriguez,
the ElasticSearch module.

4) Also I am very excited to see the talk and work being made on new
operator types by Francisco Javier Cano Bailen.

All 4 contributions are great IMO, but I would point out that Alberto and
Francisco are both cases of people joining the community without any "real
life" interaction prior to the involvement. I guess this kind of community
activity is a very positive sign and tells that we're able to attract
people to the project online too.

I hope this gives some insight. What's your impression of the progress? Do
you have more ideas or wishes?

Best regards,
Kasper

[1]