metamodel-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Attracting contributions
Date Thu, 08 May 2014 03:18:27 GMT
Well, anything non-trivial represents creative thought. Indeed,
anything copyrightable represents creative thought. So logically, that
can't be the determining factor.

For the avoidance of doubt, the Apache License was written the way it
was to make accepting patches/contributions from non-committers as
easy as possible. So I don't think there's anything to worry about
here.

It should be obvious if someone is contributing way more than we'd
normally expect, i.e. a whole subsystem, a rewrite, a new codebase,
etc. We can discuss that if it ever comes up.

On 6 May 2014 18:30, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On May 6, 2014, at 11:14, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Pull requests are like patches in JIRA. As long as the request was
>> clearly designated for the project, we're covered by our license.
>>
>> We typically only need ICLAs for committers. Or in the case of
>> importing an entire code base, a software grant.
>
> There have been many discussions on this on legal@ and other lists.  It is clear; major
contributions should only be accepted with an ICLA on file.  The questions is what counts
as a major contribution.  Completely new code represents creative thought, which should count
as major.

>>> On 6 May 2014 15:36, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The big thing to make sure we document and look for in pull requests are
>>> the legal implications.  We should set a rule that any new substantial
>>> contribution (new class, major restructuring of existing code, etc)
>>> requires the submitter to have an ICLA on file with the foundation before
>>> it will be accepted.

You can

... Any
to be

> [...]