metamodel-dev mailing list archives

From Kasper Sørensen <i.am.kasper.soren...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Vote | Apache Metamodel incubating release 4.0.0 | 2nd attempt
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:54:49 GMT
But the maven release plugin will deploy to the repository mentioned in the
<distributionManagement> section. And I don't think we would want that to
be a user-specific location (people.apache.org). Right now it says:

		<repository>
			<id>apache.releases.https</id>
			<name>Apache Release Distribution Repository</name>
			<url>https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2</url>
		</repository>

Which looks like an official place to stage releases to me? And it means
anyone could basically do a "mvn release:prepare release:perform" and then
get a staged release up, without having to copy anything around manually or
anything like that.

Agree on the subject line, release candidate naming etc. and certainly this
thread has turned into a discussion... So maybe we should cancel the vote,
settle the discussion somewhere and redo the vote (and/or release).

2013/12/5 Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com>

> HI Kasper,
>
> If you look at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html you can see
> http://people.apache.org/~${RM}/** can used or staging repo.
>
> I think it is just easier to review to help people in ASF that dont
> use Maven or Java project to review the release artifacts.
> Also in ASF, we release source not binary so when we publish binaries
> for releases they are just for convenience.
>
> As for subject, using bracketed format has been the standard format
> for ASF announcement such as [VOTE] or [DISCUSS].
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> - Henry
>

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Kasper Sørensen
> <i.am.kasper.sorensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But I think there's some unspoken details about how to do that then... I
> > mean, right now the Maven release plugin is instrumental for us to built
> > all the artifacts needed, validate them with RAT and what not, sign them,
> > stage them etc. etc... But the release plugin will also upload the
> > artifacts to the repository that is defined in the POM. And for sure we
> > shouldn't have user-specific repositories listed in the POM?
> >
> > So in my opinion this is the right way to do it, but that's not taking
> into
> > account the Apache traditions. Just looking at it from a "Java/Maven
> user"
> > perspective, I find this staging repository a very good way to consume
> the
> > release candidate. I can even make one of my depending projects consume
> > this repository and directly build/test them with the new artifacts that
> > are there (not my local build of the src, but the actual staged JARs).
> >
> > Just my 5c.
> >

> > 2013/12/5 Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com>
> >
> >> We should use RC (release candidate) to indicate the attempts and
> >> artifacts. Thats why I was proposing to sump the source to be reviewed
> >> in people.apache.org directory.
> >>
> >> The subject should be something like: [VOTE] Release Apache MetaModel
> >> 4.0.0-incubating (RC2)

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemetamodel-010/org/apache/metamodel/MetaModel/4.0.0-incubating/MetaModel-4.0.0-incubating-source-release.zip

> directory

> maven