metamodel-dev mailing list archives

From Kasper Sørensen <i.am.kasper.soren...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Aug 2013 ([ppmc])
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:25:14 GMT
Good point about Jackcess Dave. Actually I had in my mind that it was
MIT licensed, but it seems you're right! So we gotta figure something
out. Is it even allowed for Apache projects to release with such a
dependency, I think not?

An option could be to NOT include the MetaModel-Access module in the
Apache codebase at all. Instead let us at Human Inference release it
as a third party module. We already do this with the SAS module [1]
and will start doing it with the dBase module [2] , for the same
reason. This is obviously not an attempt from our side to exclude
these modules from the apache space, but just because we don't control
that licensed code and we would like to retain (in some form) the wide
connectivity of MetaModel, also after moving to Apache.

[1] Also LGPL; SassyReader - http://sassyreader.eobjects.org
[2] Also LGPL; Recently made a fork of that module from the old
MetaModel project, but compatible with the new Apache namespace at
http://eobjects.org/svn/DeeBaseReader/trunk/ (does not have a website
or something like that yet).

2013/8/4 Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>:
> There should be some discussion about IP clearance in advance of a first release.
>
> Has the podling discussed how to properly handle GPL dependencies like Jackcess? These
will need to be optional in an Apache Release.