mesos-user mailing list archives

From Greg Mann <g...@mesosphere.io>
Subject Normalization of metric keys
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2018 22:17:36 GMT
Hi all!
I'm currently working on adding a suite of new per-framework metrics to
help schedulers better debug unexpected/unwanted behavior (MESOS-8842
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-8842>). One issue that has
come up during this work is how we should handle strings like the framework
name or role name in metric keys, since those strings may contain
characters like '/' which already have a meaning in our metrics interface.
I intend to place the framework name and ID in the keys for the new
per-framework metrics, delimited by a sufficiently-unique separator so that
operators can decode the name/ID in their metrics tooling. An example
per-framework metric key:

    master/frameworks/<framework_name>###<framework_id>/tasks/task_running

I recently realized that we actually already allow the '/' character in
metric keys, since we include the framework principal in these keys:

    frameworks/<framework_principal>/messages_received
    frameworks/<framework_principal>/messages_processed

We don't disallow any characters in the principal, so anything could appear
in those keys.

*Since we don't normalize the principal in the above keys, my proposal is
that we do not normalize the framework name at all when constructing the
new per-framework metric keys.*

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Greg