mesos-user mailing list archives

From Armand Grillet <agril...@mesosphere.io>
Subject Re: Deprecating the Python bindings
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:59:20 GMT
Hi all,

We now have ongoing work to update all our Python components to Python 3
except for the bindings. We have taken care of the build system to work
with both the Python 2 and 3 codebase thus the bindings do not need to be
deprecated/updated before Python 2 EOL (i.e. 2020, and even then I do not
know if an update will be necessary).

I thus do not think that we need to deprecate or move the bindings to a
separate repo. However, the fact that the bindings are not maintained is a
problem. The code to build them is not straightforward
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/d733b1031350e03bce443aa287044eb4eee1053a/configure.ac#L2256-L2558>
and I do not know anyone who has the time or interest to update or simplify
the process in the future.

Le mer. 6 juin 2018 à 20:13, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> a écrit :

> > On May 9, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Andrew Schwartzmeyer <
> andrew@schwartzmeyer.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There are two parallel efforts underway that would both benefit from
> officially deprecating (and then removing) the Python bindings. The first
> effort is the move to the CMake system: adding support to generate the
> Python bindings was investigated but paused (see MESOS-8118), and the
> second effort is the move to Python 3: producing Python 3 compatible
> bindings is under investigation but not in progress (see MESOS-7163).
> >
> > Benjamin Bannier, Joseph Wu, and I have all at some point just wondered
> how the community would fare if the Python bindings were officially
> deprecated and removed. So please, if this would negatively impact you or
> your project, let me know in this thread.
>
> Another approach could be to move the bindings from the `mesos` git repo
> to a separate repo (either the ASF or in the `mesos` GitHub org). This
> could decouple it from the main Mesos build infrastructure and create a
> project for a Python community to coalesce around. I think there's value in
> nominating an official Python binding, but maybe we don't have to carry
> that in the same git repo and build system.

Armand Grillet
Software Engineer, Mesosphere