mesos-user mailing list archives

From Thodoris Zois <z...@ics.forth.gr>
Subject Re: Custom isolators - External container
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2017 20:16:11 GMT
Hello,

Thank you for your response, i will use the Mesos containerizer and run docker images as tasks,
so i will use cgroups/cpu and cgroups/mem for isolation in order to get some results so i
can compare them when in case i use my own isolators. Isolation module will work right? Because
of the use of mesos containerizer..

Also, where i can find some workloads that are used along with mesos so i can evaluate better
my results or traces so i can make my own workloads. What kind of tasks most people run with
Mesos?

> On 7 Aug 2017, at 21:16, Joseph Wu <joseph@mesosphere.io> wrote:
>
> First off, the external containerizer was officially removed in Mesos 1.1.0 (it had been
deprecated long before that release):
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-3370
>
> ---
>
> If you want to develop/deploy a new isolation method for Mesos, you should first consider
writing isolator modules (Mesos modules):
> https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/include/mesos/slave/isolator.hpp
>
> Isolator modules are only applicable for the Mesos containerizer, so if you plan to run
docker workloads, you can consider using built-in isolators ("docker/runtime") that support
running docker images in the Mesos containerizer.

> If you plan to use the Docker containerizer, your only choice is to develop a custom
executor to isolate tasks only within the same executor (docker will take over isolating executors
from each other).

> ---
>
> There are few benefits from running the Mesos agent inside a Docker container and many
pitfalls, so this practice is highly discouraged.  Instead, we recommend running the Mesos
agent directly via a supervisor (upstart, systemd, etc.).  The agent itself is not containerized
when run normally.

>> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Thodoris Zois <zois@ics.forth.gr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is support of external containerizer removed from Mesos? Also, i have developed some
isolators that i would like to use with Mesos. I found 3 ways to do that but i don't know
what is the proper way and what are the advantages and disadvantages in each case.

>> The 1st one is as a Mesos module
>>
>> The 2nd one is a custom executor
>>
>> The 3rd one is the container image on agent.
>>
>> What i am trying to do is to isolate docker tasks (images - one task per docker container)
that run under the same agent with my own isolators.

>> What are the benefits of running agent in a big docker container and inside small
docker containers as tasks?  If you don't run the agent under a big docker container  then
by default is running under Mesos container while inside are running small docker containers
with tasks? (Assume