mesos-user mailing list archives

From James Peach <jor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Structured logging for Mesos (or c++ glog)
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2016 23:25:26 GMT

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 2:54 PM, Zhitao Li <zhitaoli.cs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi James,
>
> Stitching events together is only one possible use cases, and I'm not exactly sure what
you meant by directly event logging.

> Taking the hierarchical allocator for example. In a multi-framework cluster, sometimes
I want to comb through various loggings and present a trace on how allocation has affected
a particular framework (by its framework id) and/or w.r.t an agent (by its agent id).

> Being able to systematically extract structured field values like framework_id or agent_id,
regardless of the actually logging pattern, will be tremendously automatically from all lo
valuable in such use cases.

I think we are talking about similar things. Many servers do both free-form error logging
and structured event logging. I'm thinking of event logging formats are customizable by the
operator and allow the interpolation of context-specific data item (eg. HTTP access logs from
many different server implementations).