mesos-user mailing list archives

From Jacopo Sabbatini <dedal...@gmail.com>
Subject Soft limit for docker tasks
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 22:38:27 GMT
Hi all,

I’m exploring Mesos as a scheduler for batch jobs running in docker
containers.

When accepting offers and submitting tasks Mesos seems to run the container
with the hard limit `—memory` and I was wondering if it possible to run
them with soft memory limit instead, the `—memory-reservation` parameter.

I’ll explain the use case. In my company we have data intensive jobs that
could run for hours. These jobs could have memory spikes and we would like
not to waste hours of computation just for a brief memory spike. Our
current scheduler let jobs go over their allocated memory unless there is
overall memory pressure in the machine, i.e. jobs don’t get killed unless
they all go over their resource at the same time.

What would be a viable solution to this problem in Mesos? Oversubscription?
Custom executor?

Thanks