mesos-user mailing list archives

From connor....@gmail.com
Subject Re: Monitoring at container level
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 03:20:25 GMT
Small plug for snap (https://github.com/intelsdi-x/snap). It's a telemetry framework with a
lot of useful plugins for collecting, processing and publishing metrics. There's a go API
(and soon more langs) for writing your own plugins. Plugin catalog: https://github.com/intelsdi-x/snap/blob/master/docs/PLUGIN_CATALOG.md

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 17:34, Guangya Liu <gyliu513@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Have you ever tried prometheus + Grafana? Please take a look at https://prometheus.io/docs/visualization/grafana/
to see if it helps.

>> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 5:51 AM, David Kesler <DKesler@yodle.com> wrote:
>> We use a combination of new relic for application level monitoring and a custom python
script that scrapes a bunch of stats from the docker socket file and throws them into elastic
so we can use kibana to make graphs.

discovery has been really helpful for these environments.

>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Steven Schlansker <sschlansker@opentable.com>
wrote:

>> We use Graphite and ran into similar problems with huge metric namespaces.
>> We use the Singularity framework which provides both the task "request id" (name)
>> and "instance number" (0..N) to the task.
>>
>> So we set our Graphite namespace to be "request-number" e.g. "myservice-3"
>> This has the downside of discontinuous data when you deploy a new release
>> but we haven't had too many issues due to that in practice.
>>

>> > On Jul 7, 2016, at 1:26 PM, Krish <krishnan.k.iyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have had a good experience so far with bosun and scollector with cadvisor.
>> > Check it out at bosun.org.
>> >

>> > On Friday 8 July 2016, Pradeep Chhetri <pradeep.chhetri89@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Michal,
>> >
>> > Do have a look at sysdig (http://www.sysdig.org). It is basically an open-source
tool which provides container insights. Maybe your will find something helpful over there.

>> > To tackle the case of new metrics for new containers, maybe you should tag metrics
by service-name instead of container id. (Graphite doesn't have concept of tags but something
like opentsdb and influxdb do have. I don't see a reason to replace graphite for that. You
can use your service-name (which the container is representing) instead of hostname in the
metrics name)

>> > On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Michał Łowicki <mlowicki@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Before introducing Mesos we're using mainly Graphite / Grafana. Ideally we would
like to have metrics per container as an easy way to detect if problem touches only single,
subset of containers or it's global.

>> > Unfortunately using Graphite for that is far from being perfect. Having container
identifier as a part of metric has many negative implications like having tons of new metrics
every release on Marathon (new containers = new identifiers).

>> > Investigated InfluxDB so far but project isn't mature enough as still components
like https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/blob/master/plugins/inputs/statsd/README.md#influx-statsd
have major blockers: