mesos-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Carey <aca...@ilm.com>
Subject RE: Rack awareness support for Mesos
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:38:28 GMT
Would this perhaps make sense as a mesos module which can automatically assigns labels to the
agents, rather than something in the core itself?

--

Aaron Carey
Production Engineer - Cloud Pipeline
Industrial Light & Magic
London
020 3751 9150

From: Du, Fan [fan.du@intel.com]
Sent: 07 June 2016 16:16
To: Jörg Schad; user@mesos.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rack awareness support for Mesos

On 2016/6/6 23:48, Jörg Schad wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for your idea and design doc!
> Just a few thoughts:
> a) The scheduling part would be implemented in a framework scheduler and
> not the Mesos Core, or?

I'm not sure which level of scheduling part do you indicate,
For the "Future" section of proposal?, It's Mesos allocation logic.
And how to use rack information to implement advanced features (fault
tolerance,
data locality) is up to the framework scheduling part.

> b) As mentioned by James, this needs to be very flexible (and not
> necessarily based on network structure),

The proposed network topology detection is modular, to fit into Ethernet,
Infiniband, or other network implementation. And yes, user can statically
configure /etc/mesos/rack_id to manipulate the logical network topology
easily.

>afaik people are using labels
> on the agents to identify different fault domains which can then be
> interpreted by framework scheduler. Maybe it would make sense (instead
> of identifying the network structure) to come up with a common label
> naming scheme which can be understood by all/different frameworks.

I'm not convinced here why still using labels,
Based on what information to label the agents? IMO, cluster operator
still needs something like lldp to find out the network topology,
every cluster operator will need to do it by his own, and it's better
to abstract the logical inside Mesos to provide common interface to
frameworks.

Honestly speaking, I don't follow the argument here for the labels.
The proposal is designed to do it *automatically* to reduce maintenance
effort.