mesos-user mailing list archives

From Dario Rexin <dario.re...@me.com>
Subject Re: Running Mesos agent on ARM (Raspberry Pi)?
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2016 17:38:13 GMT
Hi Sharma,

I played around with Mesos on RPi a while back and have been able to compile and run it with
2 little patches.

1) Depending on the ZK version, it may be necessary to patch a function that uses inline ASM
to use the resp. compiler intrinsics (I don’t remember where exactly in zk it was, but the
compile error should tell you)

2) There is string formatting code somewhere that compiles, but is not architecture independent,
i.e. behaves different on 32 and 64 bit. IIRC the fix was to change %lu to %llu or something
close to that. The stack trace when Mesos crashes should tell you. If you’re lucky enough
to have an RPi3, this may not be necessary.

Also, if you compile on the RPi make sure to create a swap file of >=512MB. The build process
will use lots of memory. I have not been able to compile on multiple cores, because the memory
usage was just too high.

I hope this helps.

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 10:23 AM, Tomek Janiszewski <janiszt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As @haosdent mentioned with Kevin we tried to run it on ARM. AFAIR there was a problem
only with master, agents runs smoothly (or pretend to). To run it on RPi you need to compile
it for ARM. Easy but long solution is to compile it on rpi. Quick but a little bit harder
 cross compile it on "normal" machine and upload to device.

I think you could take a look at this code in github https://github.com/lyda/mesos-on-arm
<https://github.com/lyda/mesos-on-arm>

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Sharma Podila <spodila@netflix.com <mailto:spodila@netflix.com>>
wrote:
> We are working on a hack to run Mesos agents on Raspberry Pi and are wondering if anyone
here has done that before. From the Google search results we looked at so far, it seems like
it has been compiled, but we haven't seen an indication that anyone has run it and launched
tasks on them. And does it sound right that it might take 4 hours or so to compile?