mesos-user mailing list archives

From Sargun Dhillon <sar...@sargun.me>
Subject Re: State of DiscoveryInfo
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:10:30 GMT
So, we parse DiscoveryInfo in Mesos DNS, and we can use it to generate
custom DNS records on behalf of a framework. Mesos-DNS publishes SRV,
and A records in order to act as an service discovery mechanism for
applications that are both "inside" and "outside" of a "Mesos
cluster".

The DiscoveryInfo field is also used to indicate other things. For
example, if several ports are allocated to a task / Container, we may
be unsure of which ports that container should expect ingress
connectivity on. Although we can parse the resources, it becomes
somewhat brittle as we begin to interface with other networks. In
order to avoid this, the framework can tell us which ports are
allocated to ingress traffic. In my opinion, any tasks that are
planning on accepting traffic should expose this information via
DiscoveryInfo. This information can then be taken to configure tools
like IPTables, or other network filtering.

Lastly, DiscoveryInfo has some free form fields (labels). These labels
can be used to configure load balancing tools like HAProxy, etc. We
have some internal standards we use that can auto-configure virtual
IPs to map to the tasks that have the right port label format. This
makes it incredibly easy to wire up tasks within the cluster.